No announcement yet.

fasting for fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't want to be negative but the thread title is fasting for fitness not fasting for health

imo 2 very different topics

I think their are multiple proven studies that show fasting for health is a great way to enhance a lot of things (health, bodily functions, and the list goes on)

But imo leaves a lot to be desired in fitness (goal dependent)
    march 2020 13.8 (BPEL) x 10.5 cm (5.4 x 4.1) --- 18 (BPEL) x 13.5 cm (7.1 x 5.3) september 2020
    march 2021 19cm/19.5(BPEL) x 13cm (7.5x5)

Comment

Originally posted by 18x13goalreached View Post
      don't want to be negative but the thread title is fasting for fitness not fasting for health

I think their are multiple proven studies that show fasting for health is a great way to enhance a lot of things (health, bodily functions, and the list goes on)

I have touched on this previous since I have reservations re muscle loss . However on balance the studies seem to indicate it is no worse than other wieght loss methods . To be honest though that is not my own experience . Like you say though it is goal dependent not everyone has a fitness goal that requires gobs of muscle .

Comment

I'm curious how you would separate fasting for fitness and fasting for health? I ask because health is a synonym for fitness, and to me, it's the same unless you mean the outer physical body is the idea of fitness and the inner body is thought of as health? I could see that difference there if that's how you vision it. Good thoughts.

Comment

i would describe fitness as training (resistance, cardio or sport)

And health as diet and lifestyle.

Like you can lead a healthy lifestyle without training and getting into fitness through diet alone...

That's where i would draw the distinction
          Last edited by 18x13goalreached; 07-30-2021, 05:53 PM.
          march 2020 13.8 (BPEL) x 10.5 cm (5.4 x 4.1) --- 18 (BPEL) x 13.5 cm (7.1 x 5.3) september 2020

Comment

Ah got it, I can understand that. Then for me I guess I would fall under fasting for health lol

Comment

like a vegan for example might be slim and healthy without even leaving their house

Comment

Fitness is often a performnce critera .

Comment

i would describe fitness as training (resistance, cardio or sport)

And health as diet and lifestyle.

Like you can lead a healthy lifestyle without training and getting into fitness through diet alone...

That's where i would draw the distinction
                  However you define it, the goals are still the important consideration. So what are the goals of fitness training? If the goal of resistance training is to increase muscle strength/mass, there was a study that showed increased protein synthesis after a fasted resistance workout compared with a fed resistance workout. If the goal of cardio training is to improve cardiovascular condition and reduce body fat, studies have shown a VO2 Max increases and 50% improved fat oxidation in fasted aerobic training compared with fed training. There is also some evidence to suggest that strategic fasting will aid in post-workout recovery.

Comment

there was a study that showed increased protein synthesis after a fasted resistance workout compared with a fed resistance workout.
                    It would want to be a significant amount of increase as the fast you just did has lost you time your body could be preforming protein synthesis?

To my knowledge the argument for the "fasting" side with resistance training.. is it slightly increases HGH (human growth hormone) receptors which allows you some growth while fasting.. I'd be interested if anyone even compared the 2..

Let's say "optimal protein synthesis" vs "fasting" get 2 people.. one to eat 30 grams of protein every 3 hours until they hit their protein quota, and one to fast and do the same with their eating window and see who comes out on top..

That would be worth knowing

(ps i have my money on the optimal protein person)

Comment

It would want to be a significant amount of increase as the fast you just did has lost you time your body could be preforming protein synthesis?

To my knowledge the argument for the "fasting" side with resistance training.. is it slightly increases HGH (human growth hormone) receptors which allows you some growth while fasting.. I'd be interested if anyone even compared the 2..

Let's say "optimal protein synthesis" vs "fasting" get 2 people.. one to eat 30 grams of protein every 3 hours until they hit their protein quota, and one to fast and do the same with their eating window and see who comes out on top..

That would be worth knowing

(ps i have my money on the optimal protein person)
                      Me too . That said there may be some place for fasting in performance improvement .

I would like the link re the vo2 increase please .

Comment

me too 50% is a very bold claim

Did you have the study handy?
                        Last edited by 18x13goalreached; 08-03-2021, 03:31 AM.

Comment

me too 50% is a very bold claim from

Did you have the study handy?
                          The 50% was in fat oxidation .
                          I am more interested in increased vo2 max.

Comment

me too i want to see the study for sure

Comment

The study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20452283/

Here's one write up of it: https://leangains.com/fasted-trainin...scle-glycogen/

Comment

On top, by what measure? Again, like I keep saying, each individual has their own goals to consider when choosing their nutrition and workout strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                X