No announcement yet.

fasting for fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for the advice! I used to do my workout at 7 am and then not eat until 11 am so maybe I was just waiting to long or not doing enough pre-workout. I used to wake up and go for a run without even drinking any water first

Comment

Try to eat within an hour after your workout to refuel your muscles - 2 hours at the most - and, yes, you really should be hydrated. Not only will your performance suffer a bit if you aren't, the muscle tissue needs it to repair.

Comment

i can't see the benefits of fasting out weighing maximal protein synthesis but that's just mo
        march 2020 13.8 (BPEL) x 10.5 cm (5.4 x 4.1) --- 18 (BPEL) x 13.5 cm (7.1 x 5.3) september 2020
        march 2021 19cm/19.5(BPEL) x 13cm (7.5x5)

Comment

Depends on one's goals

Comment

can see starving yourself working amazing for cutting and losing vast amount of weight...

Most people tend to want to lose fat though

But you are right their are some who don't mind losing weight (muscle included)
            march 2020 13.8 (BPEL) x 10.5 cm (5.4 x 4.1) --- 18 (BPEL) x 13.5 cm (7.1 x 5.3) september 2020

Comment

Sounds like you're conflating smaller eating windows and starving yourself. Dunno where you got that from...

Comment

what would you compare fasting to?

Comment

assuming you don't eat while you sleep and get 6-8 (maybe more) hours of that + added time = 12+ hours that your muscles isn't being fed protein to preform protein synthesis?

Unless you ate casein proteins before sleep?

That's how i see it?

The argument is the small spike is hgh receptors pick up the slack (bulking)

Haven't seen many people succeed with it

But i could see its place for cutting for sure

If you still implemented a calorie deficit

But its just a fancy calorie deficit really??

You don't agree?

It would really depend on what you ate in your window and the amount of calories you ate also if your window is less than 4 hours your body is really only going to be able to process maybe 40 grams of protein?

You kinda need a certain amount just to maintain muscle tissue this isn't really cutting edge stuff either?

https://www.acsm.org/docs/default-so...aintenance.pdf

https://completehumanperformance.com...protein-needs/

https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition...uscles-absorb/
                  Some references for you

Comment

For me, I was still eating my daily recommended calories and tried most days to get enough protein. I was eating between 10-6 and then fasting from 6 until 10 with the usual exception of water/coffee. Which do you think is best, planning the workout around my fasting time or plan my fasting around my workout time?

Comment

hmm i think if your already eating at a deficit that's 90% of the job done if your window is 6 hours you could maybe eat 3 separate meals consisting of 25-30 grams of protein and get great results?

I also think you could do that with out fasting for similar results

But if you like it go for it

I think carbs are the traditional source of energy for a workout (which is the massive debate on fasting and working out)

If its just cardio i think you will be fine either way

If your also adding resistance training id be intrigued to know if you have ever made performance gains whilst having zero carbs to fuel your lifts?

Comment

I don't think I've ever watched my carbs while doing weight/resistance training. I was doing cardio while carb cycling and definitely felt a difference in performance there. I would try carb cycling with weights but don't think I could give up carbs altogether.

Comment

That was exactly what I meant when I said it depends on the goals. Nor was I saying that a long fasting period is about total caloric deficit or even about macro composition. I was only referring to compressing macros and calories into a smaller eating window and I think you mistook it for an argument for overall reduction.

Comment

Also known as “the island where people forget to die”, Ikaria in Greece enjoys an isolated culture rich in tradition, family values and longevity. It is reported that Ikaria is almost entirely free of dementia, and that one in three folks make it to their 90s.
                            While this can be put down to a number of factors, it is their diet that seems to add years to their lives. Ikarians enjoy strong red wine in moderation, which is high in the antioxidant resveratrol and also eat a variation of the Mediterranean diet, with an abundance of fruits and vegetables, wholegrains, beans, potatoes and olive oil. “The Mediterranean diet has been proven time and again to be the best for our health,” says Fiona.
                            They also enjoy the lovely European tradition of an afternoon nap, which according to Harvard Medical School improves learning, memory and creative thinking.
                            Finally, fasting comes into play. While we are all currently crazy about intermittent fasting in western society, Ikarians belong to the traditional Greek Orthodox church, which recommends regular fasting periods.
                            “Calorie restriction and fasting can help keep weight in balance, but it also may have other longevity benefits,” says Fiona. “It is thought to assist with blood sugar regulation, cholesterol, insulin sensitivity and gut health.”

Comment

Yes please to red wine, naps, fasting, and the Mediterranean diet. I also read that fasting gives the liver time to process food and beverages. Though, I can't remember what the outcome was with fasting and fatty liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashealth View Post
                                Yes please to red wine, naps, fasting, and the Mediterranean diet. I also read that fasting gives the liver time to process food and beverages. Though, I can't remember what the outcome was with fasting and fatty liver.
                                Fasting is said to have a positive effect on the liver .

Comment

Working...
                                X